The 1871 census was held on Sunday 2nd April 1871.
Below is a summary of the census records. However, if you wish to view individual details, here is an Alphabetic Index of Names indicating the census entry number where they are listed:
Alternatively, click on the link below to see the details of the census records.
In the 1871 census, for the first time, it is easier to locate some of the houses, especially in Northbrook (which includes the Station) and Weston Colley, where they are all numbered or named. There were approximately 1050 inhabitants at the time. The predominant surnames were: Ball, Baverstock, Collis, Fifield, Grunsell, Hobbs, Knight, Miles and Whatmore.
The main occupations were agricultural labourer/farmworker/carter/general labourer and railway worker. Most women who worked were domestic servants. The vast majority are born in Micheldever or Hampshire with a few professionals born out of County. Notably, one Elizabeth Ayrs, aged 4, was born in New Zealand, a British subject, granddaughter of one George Phillis (sch 37). There are some described as infirm/paralysed/cripple/invalid and there are a grown up brother and sister who are afflicted with epilepsy. (sch 42)
Principle farms itemised are as follows:
Another notable dwelling is Southbrook Farm House, owned by J B Neate (away from home) with four servants living in. (sch 85) (is this Manor House in 1861?)
Waterloo Cottages in Southbrook, five dwellings, are named for the first time (sch 73-77), as are Canada Cottages, 1-8 (sch 34-42)
Boro Farm House (sch 89) is still being farmed by Charles Pain. The acreage is now 1150 acres, employing 22 men and 8 boys. There are seven servants also living in the house in addition to his wife and five children.
West Stratton Farmhouse (sch 104) has changed ownership to Owen Richards, who has 875 acres employing 16 men and 11 boys. Also living there in addition to his wife and 5 children are 6 servants.
In Southbrook, there were now three, not four grocer's shops, still run by Richard Collis (sch 48) - Perry'a Acre (see buildings history on village website), Charles Criswick (at Holly House – see history of Holly House on the village website) (sch 11) (both in Duck Street in 1881) and one run by Elizabeth Knight, widow of Peter (see 1861 census)) (sch 57), (in Church Street in 1881). There was also a Butcher's shop, run by William Gale (sch 71) (in Church Street in 1881) (Barn Cottage). Southbrook still had the same businesses of a Blacksmith, Stephen Dicker (sch 49), and a Shoemaker, Henry Collis (sch 20) (in Duck Street in 1881).
There was a grocer’s shop in Northbrook run by Charles Piper (sch 24), who also describes himself as a farmer of 40 acres. There is a second grocer's shop in Northbrook run by George Ford who was also a postman. (sch 37)
West Stratton had a grocer's shop run by David Colliss (sch 105) who was living at Grocer's Shop, Micheldever in the 1861 census.
In Southbrook, there was a new vicar (sch 25) William Whitestone, born in Dublin, and he lived in the Vicarage, with his wife, two sons (all born in Micheldever) and 3 servants.
The school was run by John James and his wife Marthe, who lived on the premises (sch 66) (Micheldever Cottage). There is no mention of a school in West Stratton.
The public house in Southbrook is now named as the Eagle Inn (sch 39), where the publican was a Robert Cook. There is also a Beer Shop in Northbrook (sch 19) at what appears to be 19 Northbrook Cottages. The head of household, George Guttridge describes his occupation as a blacksmith.
The head and matron of the Alms Houses was Elizabeth Tibble and there were 22 residents, nine of whom were also living here in the 1861 census (sch 67),
The police constable was one George Kinshott aged 31. (sch 51)
Other notable buildings in Northbrook were the Western Hotel still run by Maria Fry and her daughter Caroline (sch 45); Western House with John Wolfe still the head (sch 44); Warren House is not mentioned but could be Weston Farm (sch 48) mentioned above; the owner of Northbrook House was absent in London with his wife and 6 children (sch 33)
Elizabeth Pain, formerly of Manor House, is now living at 13, Weston House with one daughter and three servants. (sch 71)
Because it is a small, specific area, it is possible to compare Weston and Boro Hill in 1861 with 1871. There are eight families out of 19 homes still the same in 1871 and at Boro Cottages, all three families are unchanged.
Thanks to Colin Filmer and trish Patston for creating these census records and summaries.